Trending Procedures in 2016
Looking at the Trending Procedures in 2016
As we creep up on the midpoint of the year, it’s common to see plenty of articles reflecting on the trending procedures of last year and predicting the next innovations to break through. It’s true that every year there seems to be a procedure or two that has a breakout moment, but it’s important to remember a couple of things. First and foremost, no procedure gets off the ground without a substantial amount of research—research that must go through various levels of approvals. It’s not unlikely that, by the time one of these innovations reaches the marketplace, doctors of one kind or another have been working on it for years.
The second thing to keep in mind is that many of these “trending” procedures are still not quite as popular as the mainstays of plastic surgery (liposuction and breast augmentation, for example). When certain procedures suddenly spike in popularity, however, it can be an indication that broader definitions of “beauty” are on the move. When the desires of patients shift, the procedures that can accommodate those desires can suddenly become popular (sometimes they also become more efficient to meet the higher demand). So let’s take a look at some of the procedures that are trending in 2016.
What Was Trending in 2015?
According to statistics compiled by the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, there were a few plastic surgery procedures that grew significantly recently (especially compared to 2014 and to the year 2000, both of which are what the ASPS tracks). Among those procedures that grew significantly in 2015 were the following:
- Buttock Lift: Sometimes known as the Brazilian Butt Lift, this procedure saw a significant gain in popularity in 2015. According to the ASPS statistics, this procedure grew by 36% year over year, and by over 250% compared to the year 2000. Much of that has to do with the way beauty ideals have changed (larger butts are quite fashionable and attractive these days). Patients that want to achieve this look have several options, although the most popular is that option which uses autologous fat in order to provide additional volume.
- Changing the Lips: One interesting note that pops out when you look at these data is that changing of the lips is getting more and more popular. It’s not hard to find stories about the surging popularity of lip injections, and those stories are largely true—that procedure grew considerably over the last few years. But so too have lip reduction procedures. Now, when you compare raw numbers there is no contest: under 1000 lip reductions compared to tens of thousands of lip injections. But it’s certainly an interesting place of growth.
- Botox: To be fair, Botox only grew 1% between the year 2014 and 2015; but when a procedure is as popular as Botox, that one percentage point is quite significant. In fact, compared to the year 2000, Botox has grown over 750%. That is incredibly significant, and Botox injections continue to be the single most popular cosmetic procedure in the United States. There’s good reason for this, as Botox injections are able to yield desired results in short order with few complications. Additionally, surgeons are often researching new ways to use Botox (treating migraines or depression, for example).
What Stayed Popular in 2015
These up and coming procedures are making headlines because of their growing popular, and they should. When a procedure suddenly becomes more popular, it’s worth taking notice. But that shouldn’t overshadow the procedures that have remained popular over a number of years. Many of the most popular plastic surgery procedures are simply popular (and successful) year in and year out. Among them are the following:
- Breast Augmentation: According to the statistics compiled by the ASPS, nearly 280,000 breast augmentation procedures were performed in 2015. That’s a slight decrease from 2014, but still easily the most popular surgical procedure tracked. Breast augmentation is a perennial favorite of patients who want to look more proportional or increase the size of the bust. Patients consistently report higher confidence, self-esteem, and even quality of life, so it’s not surprising this continues to be exceptionally popular.
- Liposuction: Over 220,000 patients had a liposuction procedure in 2015, according to the ASPS statistics. Patients love the ability to target stubborn areas of fat and, due to modern liposuction techniques, contour those areas with the rest of the body. The results from modern liposuction look incredibly natural, meaning no one will be able to tell you used a plastic surgery procedure to get your results.
- Blepharoplasty: Known more commonly as an eyelid lift, over 200,000 patients went in for this procedure. Eyelid lift procedures eliminate excess tissue and fat from around the eyes; sometimes this procedure can be covered by insurance because that excess tissue can also impair a patient’s vision. Patients who undergo an eyelid lift usually look significantly more youthful after the procedure because the eyes are such an important focal point to the face.
What Will the Future Bring?
It’s hard to tell precisely what will be popular ten or fifteen years from now. However, there’s no doubt that patients will still want to exert control over the way their bodies look and feel. There will always be new trends in plastic surgery—but it’s important to make sure those trendy new procedures really deliver. If you’re interested in what the Board Certified plastic surgeons at Minneapolis Plastic Surgery can do for you—regardless of trend—contact us to schedule a confidential consultation!